Designed by Willis G. Hale, this magnificent building was built between 1892-94 as the Lorraine Apartments and catered to the upper crust of Philadelphia society. It became the Lorraine Hotel in 1900, and in 1948 was sold to Father Divine and his Peace Mission Movement, who renamed it the Divine Lorraine Hotel. Though the building was segregated by gender (men on one floor, women on another), the Divine Lorraine became the first integrated hotel in the city under her new owners. The Peace Mission Movement declined steadily in recent years and the Divine Lorraine has sat vacant and abandoned for the past 15 years. Developers have come and gone, each one falling victim to the almighty dollar (or lack thereof), the last one even going so far as to gut the place down to her bare studs. The current developer, Eric Blumenfeld, will be restoring and renovating it back to luxury apartments. After the groundbreaking ceremony on September 16th, 2015, people were allowed inside the lobby to see the building in her current state of decay one last time before her transformation began.
Divine Lorraine Hotel